Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A late night with Yankee Doodle Dandy

As I was lying in bed last night before going to sleep, I was flipping through the million and one channels we have through our cable. I came across one of my favorite movies Yankee Doodle Dandy. It's a life-story of the Broadway legend George M. Cohan. Apparently several liberties were taken with the screenplay, to make his life a little bit more dramatic for the big screen, but the film did capture Cohan's spirit, liveliness, and sincere devotion to the United States.

Watching all the patriotic flag waving, and listening to those old Cohan songs, such as Over There and Yankee Doodle Dandy can make one realize just how blessed we are here in the United States. My how times have changed since the days of the World Wars! I started thinking about all the people nowdays who bash the President, or American-born citizens who are so disgruntled with the state of affairs in our country they would rather live somewhere other than the U.S. When did our immense pride for our country get tossed out like yesterdays garbage? I understand there are many problems in our country that need attention, but is it really so bad as needing to disown the U.S.? No other country in this world offers more freedoms and more opportunities than ours. Instead of having our own citizens focusing only what is going wrong, perhaps we should all take some time to pay attention to what is going RIGHT, and once again, be proud of being a citizen in the U.S.

Off my patriotic soap box... We have a gloomy start to our Wednesday. It is raining as I type and there are some rumbles of thunder. Today is a busy cleaning day, which is nice since today is calling for showers off and on all day. I need to vacuum the carpets and rugs and clean the bathrooms, and of course do more laundry.

I still need to figure out dinner for tonight. We ate a few slices of our huge 10lb ham... I imagine we will be eating quite a bit of ham for the next little bit. I should look up some ham recipes and get creative with what is left. Aiden ate some of the asparagus I sauted last night. He enjoys biting the tops off and moving on to the next piece. At least he's eating ASPARAGUS of all things!

Oh and I have a couple of EXTREMELY ripe bananas, so I was planning on making some banana nut bread today too! I've set myself up for a busy day, so I better get started on it. Aiden is finally waking up.. he has been sleeping so much recently, but I am in no way, shape, or form complaining! I know he's a growing little boy who needs tons of rest.

Now, to let my day begin... Happy Wednesday!

No comments: